Join as a Singer
Please note that, to encourage younger singers, we have a much-reduced subscription rate for students under 25 of £25 per year.
In a typical year the choir performs two concerts and also hosts a Come and Sing, in the summer, which is open to all.
- The Autumn Season begins in early September. Rehearsals are held on Friday evenings in Winchester College Music School. These are in preparation for concert in mid-November in Winchester Cathedral. On this occasion, Winchester College Glee Club and Quiristers (choir boys) join us. The resulting choir numbers well over 200 singers. Exploring the choral repertoire on such a scale is always an exhilarating experience.
- The Spring season leads to a March/early April concert, which is purely for the Club. It usually takes place at local venue other than the cathedral. Rehearsals for this start in January. Works chosen for this concert are usually on a smaller scale, and can range from Purcell, through Schubert, to Britten.
- The Come and Sing takes place on a Saturday at the end of May. In recent years, many new singers have found themselves keen to join us after one of these intensive ' workshop and performance' days.
- Most singers join at the beginning of the Autumn season.
- A prospective member of the choir would normally sing with us for one or two rehearsals before being auditioned. If there are large numbers of applicants, the auditions may, however, take place in the first or second week.
- The audition is designed to establish a singer's range and voice quality; it is quite short and informal. It starts with a warm-up. Good sight-reading ability is a bonus, but it is not an essential requirement if the singer concerned is willing to work hard at learning his or her part. Another important aspect is the aural test. The applicant is asked to identify one note from a cluster of one or two played on the piano. There is no need to offer a prepared audition piece.
For tenors and basses: there are spaces for successful applicants. We especially need tenors.
For sopranos and altos: there is only limited availability, a waiting list will operate, if required, for successful candidates.
For the 2016/2017 season: £120 per year (£115 if paid by the first two rehearsals), £25 for students under 25. Singers joining for the March concert pay a reduced subscription. There is an additional charge for the Come and Sing.
Ladies: Long-sleeved black tops, floor-length black skirts or smart trousers.
Gentlemen: November concert: dark suits and ties, white shirts. March concert: Dinner jackets, bow ties and white shirts.
Friday nights 7.30 - 9.30, September to March, during term time, at Winchester College Music School. See map and parking advice.
If you would like to join us email our auditions secretary, Liz Hake, at firstname.lastname@example.org